Tuesday 9 June 2009

Dreamy Hoi An

Hoi An is enchanting. Getting lost in the maze of narrow alleys and walking under bouganvilleas and native trees in bloom, you can't help but fall in love with this little town. The architecture is divine, with buildings indicative of the town's French and Chinese colonial past, painted in canary yellow that has aged beautifully. The atmosphere is dreamy and the locals more friendly and relaxed than those in Saigon. At night, the streets are softly lit with lanterns, with people strolling to music and laughter floating out from the bars and restaurants.

Sophie and I decided to rent bikes for the day (Sophie cracks me up, great fun having her around). We got lost (my fault as usual) and had a lot of fun cycling and finding our way back. We stumbled onto what I think was some of the local boys' football "hangout" near the river. They didn't look too pleased and as Sophie tried to make some friendly small talk, one of them just said "Bye bye". Charming. A lot like the boys back home.

We're leaving tomorrow for Hue. I don't want to leave. It's beautiful here. I'm definitely coming back if I can. Thankfully, no night train this time. The last train was not like the first one we took......... I avoided the toilets.

No comments:

Post a Comment