Sunday 28 June 2009

From KL with love

It's official. My Indochina adventure has ended. Waahhh!!! Why God? Why? I nearly missed check-in yesterday (and quite possibly my flight) due to my automatic presumption that I was taking a domestic flight to Kuala Lumpur, until Steve pointed out that KL was in fact in Malaysia, a different country, and under every circumstance flying there from Thailand is always classified as an international flight. I replied with, "But it's in Southeast Asia!" He looked at me like I was one of those slow kids he may have had the misfortune to teach in Taiwan. Why am I such a bimbo sometimes? So I jumped into a taxi with only 3 mins to spare before the counter closed, wasted 35 Baht for a sealed bottle of mineral water which I had to throw into a bin 10 steps later because somehow it was potentially dangerous even with the seal on, and finally be informed that my flight was delayed after running to the gate. Aaahh!! If that bottle wasn't dangerous, I definitely was. The flight was uneventful, apart from witnessing a lightning storm. In the sky! On the plane! How cool is that?

I am now in KL, suffering from a mild bout of food poisoning. After having eaten from dodgy street stalls and even dodgier restaurants in countries that I doubt ensure that all food preparation outlets abide to HSA/FSA conditions, I am struck by waves of intensely painful stomach cramps in KL. Thankfully, it has only been that, stomach cramps. I tried not to double over as each wave of pain hit me while wandering around the UNESCO heritage site that is Melaka. I think I may have to write to UNESCO and request that they review this status, because apart from a few buildings, which I have to admit were very beautiful old buildings, there wasn't much to the rest of the place.

 


My 10 year old cousin informs me that Melaka was first colonised by the French (?), then the Dutch, then the Portugese. He mentioned dates as well but seeing as remembrance of historical dates has never been something I like to do, you will have google this info if you're particularly interested. I also asked him for tips on how to be an ace teacher. He suggested that I be firm but not too strict, fair but not too nice, and to always listen to both sides of the story. Yeah baby. I'm going to be the most coolioso teacher in Germania.

Tomorrow I'm free to explore on my own. Tristan suggested the Petronas towers and the Islamic Arts Museum. I might also squeeze in the Colonial District and Chinatown. Or I may just hang around my Uncle's and Aunt's and watch some DVDs. Ooh what to do?

No comments:

Post a Comment